The heart of the home, the kitchen is often a source of pride to the homeowners. I wonder how many times have we visited a newly renovated kitchen or a new kitchen in a new property just to notice that certain things should have been done differently. Below are few observations I have made for you to learn from:
· It is very common that the dishwasher is in the wrong spot: you cannot reach storage cupboard or shelves when emptying it, or it is not next to water tap for rinsing, or it is too far from the garbage bin.
· The most often the garbage or recycling bins are in the sink cabinet. They should be in better places; in next cabinet over so you don’t have to move about when clearing dishes or preparing food
· Wall ovens or even ranges are next to the fridge. I wonder why that might be a problem.
· Wall ovens are at a wrong height or you do not have a place close by to put down your hot pans or pots
· Hood is at wrong height or it is a wrong kind, you should always consider people while not compromising a building code or regulations
· Counters are too high or too low for the people living in the house.
· Upper cabinets are too high, so only the lower shelves can be reached.
· Under cabinet lighting is on your face.
· Lighting creates lots of shadows
· Food preparing area and water source are too far from each other.
· Fridge is so far from the table or island that one has to take steps to put food down
· Good old “work triangle” is too big or off balance
· Counter top edge does extend beyond cabinets (some exceptions because of cabinet styles)
· Cabinet handles may not be easy to use with longer nails.
It is fun to flip through magazines and catalogs to admire different styles and designs of kitchens. Look a bit closer and you will soon notice, that perhaps a designer should have put a bit more effort in the function still not needing to compromise the style.
I have Scandinavian heritage, Finnish actually, therefore, next time I will give you “12 tips from Scandinavian kitchen design”
Get more blogs posts delivered right to your email. Sign up below!