Are you happy with your kitchen sink? Is it big enough?
The market is full of different kinds of sinks to choose from. We have apron sinks, single bowl, one and a half bowls, double bowls, drop-in and under mount sinks. They are made of “granite”, concrete, solid (surface) material, and stainless steel in different gauge ( 16, 18, 20).
How would you choose just the right one?
You may want to consider a few things;
- Do I really need more than one bowl? Do I just keep the other bowl as “storage” or do I use the other bowl for draining dishes, or do I put a cutting board on the top the other bowl and get a garbage bowl in the other (this is handy if you do a lot of vegetable meals)
- Is my kitchen big enough for a double bowl or do I need more counter space?
- Can I reach the bottom of the sink without bending my back (tall people could find that these extra deep sinks are not comfortable to do dishes in) and on the other hand deep sinks are great for bigger pots and tall items
- Under mount sink look beautiful, but consider also the cleaning and that they are made for counter tops made from stone, quartz or solid surfaces
- Drop-in sinks are for laminate counters but you can use them on any surfaces, nowadays a micro edge sink looks very modern as well
- If you choose a stainless steel I'd recommend picking a sink with 16 gauge steel, which is thicker than 18. Keep in mind that it does not stay so shiny after use, but that it still looks good after scratches and it is very durable and easy to clean
It is really a personal choice on what kind sink you like and what material you prefer and whether or not you appreciate easy cleaning.
Get more blog posts delivered right to your email. Please sign up below!